David H. Gorski, Ph.D., M.D., FACS
Alexander J. Walt Comprehensive Breast Center and Chief, Section of Breast Surgery
Title: Associate Professor of Surgery and Oncology, Wayne State University School of Medicine.
Office Address: Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, HWCRC Rm. 832 (Lab) or HWCRC Rm. 640 (Office), 4100 John R., Detroit, MI, 48021
Phone: 1-313-576-8490 (Office), 1-313-576-9423 or 8997 (Lab)
Specialty: Breast and Oncologic Surgery
Research Interest: tumor-induced angiogenesis and glutamatergic signaling as a potential therapeutic target in triple negative breast cancer (TNBC)
Ph.D.: Cellular Physiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
M.D.: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.S.: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
– Co-Medical Director, Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative
– Co-Chair, Cancer Committee, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center
– American College of Surgeons Committee on Cancer (ACS CoC) Cancer Liaison Physician
– Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO and Breast Cancer Research Foundation Advanced Clinical Research Award in Breast Cancer, 2007.
-Co-Director of MiBOQI (Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative), a state-wide initiative to improve the quality of breast cancer care using evidence-based guidelines that encompasses . MiBOQI was founded in 2006 and now encompasses 25 participating sites that range from community hospitals to NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers, such as the University of Michigan and the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and 421 participating MDs, registering approximately 4,000 patients per year and over 150 cases/site/year.
– Managing Editor of the Science-Based Medicine weblog, as well as a once-weekly contributor. SBM exists to take a skeptical, science-based view of medicine in general and in particular the infiltration of pseudoscientific practices into medicine, even in academic medical centers.
– Selected media appearances and invited talks
Cecilia Speyer, Ph.D.
Title: Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Wayne State University School of Medicine.
Office Address: Elliman Building Room 1221, 4100 John R., Detroit, MI, 48021
Phone: 1-313-576-8343 (Office), 1-313-576-8997 (Lab), 1-313-576-9322 (Fax)
Specialty: immunology and physiology
Research Interest: metabotropic glutamate receptor-1 (mGluR1) in breast cancer
Ph.D.: Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI (Physiology and Immunology)
M.S.: Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI (Basic Medical Sciences)
B.S.: Oakland University, Rochester, MI (Biochemistry)
ASC in Science: Oakland Community College, Royal Oak, MI