David H. Gorski, M.D., Ph.D., FACS
Chief, Division of Breast Surgery
Associate Professor of Surgery and Oncology
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Medical Director, Alexander J. Walt
Comprehensive Breast Center
Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute
Medical Students – Instruction in breast surgery clinic, lecturer on breast cancer, thesis committee
Residents – Bedside teaching in hospital/clinic, didactic/socratic
Karmanos Cancer Center
4100 John R, M/C HWO8AO
Detroit, MI 48201
Fax: 313-745-8480 (Office)
Assistant: Lisa Berant
SPECIALTY: Breast and Oncologic Surgery
PRIMARY SITE: Karmanos Cancer Center
AFFILIATIONS: Harper University Hospital
CLINICAL INTERESTS: Breast and Oncologic Surgery
– American Board Of Surgery Board Certified
– Ph.D. – Cellular Physiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
– M.D. – University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
– B.S. – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
– General Surgery Residency, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
– Surgical Oncology Research Fellowship, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
– Co-Medical Director, Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative
– Co-Chair, Cancer Committee, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center
– American College of Surgeons Committee on Cancer (ACS CoC) Cancer Liaison Physician
– Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO and Breast Cancer Research Foundation Advanced Clinical Research Award in Breast Cancer, 2007.
-Co-Director of MiBOQI (Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative), a state-wide initiative to improve the quality of breast cancer care using evidence-based guidelines that encompasses . MiBOQI was founded in 2006 and now encompasses 25 participating sites that range from community hospitals to NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers, such as the University of Michigan and the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and 421 participating MDs, registering approximately 4,000 patients per year and over 150 cases/site/year.
– Managing Editor of the Science-Based Medicine weblog, as well as a once-weekly contributor. SBM exists to take a skeptical, science-based view of medicine in general and in particular the infiltration of pseudoscientific practices into medicine, even in academic medical centers.
– Selected media appearances and invited talks
PI – Barbara Ann Karmanos Strategic Initiative Research Grant (SIRG), September 15, 2012 to September 14, 2013
microRNA-130a: A potential biomarker and target in triple negative breast cancer.
PI – A Prognostic Study of Sentinel Node and Bone Marrow Metastases in Women with Clinical T1 or T2 N0 M0 Breast Cancer, 2009-present.
PI – A Randomized Trial of Axillary Node Dissection in Women With Clinical T1 or T2 N0 M0 Breast Cancer Who Have A Positive Sentinel Node, 2009-present.
PI – A Randomized Phase III Trial Comparing 16 to 18 Weeks of Neoadjuvant Exemestane (25mg daily), Letrozole (2.5 mg), or Anastrozole (1 mg) in Postmenopausal Women with Clinical Stage II and III Estrogen Receptor Positive Breast Cancer, 2009-present.
Co- Chair – ECOG Protocol #2301: A Randomized Phase II Study of BMS-247550 (NSC #710428) Given Daily x 5 Days Every 3 Weeks or Weekly in Patients with Metastatic or Recurrent Squamous Cell Cancer of the Head and Neck, 2003-2005.
Next-generation sequencing: a powerful tool for the discovery of molecular markers in breast ductal carcinoma in situ.
Kaur H, Mao S, Shah S, Gorski DH, Krawetz SA, Sloane BF, Mattingly RR.
Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2013 Mar;13(2):151-65.
Metabotropic glutamate receptor-1: a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of breast cancer.
Speyer CL, Smith JS, Banda M, DeVries JA, Mekani T, Gorski DH.
Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012 Apr;132(2):565-73.
Regulation of the expression and activity of the antiangiogenic homeobox gene GAX/MEOX2 by ZEB2 and microRNA-221.
Chen Y, Banda M, Speyer CL, Smith JS, Rabson B, Gorski DH.
Mol Cell Biol. 2010 Aug;30(15):3902-13.
MEOX2 regulates nuclear factor-kappaB activity in vascular endothelial cells through interactions with p65 and IkappaBbeta.
Chen Y, Rabson AB, Gorski DH.
Cardiovasc Res. 2010 Sep 1;87(4):723-31
Regulation of angiogenesis through a microRNA (miR-130a) that down-regulates antiangiogenic homeobox genes GAX and HOXA5.
Chen Y, Gorski DH.
Blood. 2008 Feb 1;111(3):1217-26. Epub 2007 Oct 23.